Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Diversity

I don't watch much cable or over the air television. My viewing is generally limited to sporting events. Most recently I enjoyed several NCAA Tournament games. The student athletes are very impressive.

I deploy my "mute" button liberally, particularly during commercial breaks. I still see some of the offerings.

I find it both amusing and distressing how self-consciously multi- gender and multi-racial almost every commercial seems to be.

I have lived a long time. Generally speaking life looks nothing like these commercials.

https://www.verizon.com/home/verizonglobalhome/ghp_landing.aspx

Of course, all the cigarette commercials showing vibrant, athletic and beautiful people in my younger years did not reflect reality either. There was, however, no attempt at selling a social utopia that did not exist in order to keep the social justice warriors happy. Just a blatant attempt to persuade us that smoking was a habit of the cool and the beautiful. Commercial persuasion not social persuasion.

I think I prefer the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment