Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Apology

I had written yesterday that I would be attending the Trump event last night. I was looking forward to writing about it. Good intentions...

I know downtown Phoenix about as well as I know downtown Moscow.

When I reached the convention center area yesterday evening there were a number of closed roads. After a short while I gave up trying to find my way to a safe parking area and returned home.

My primary interest in attending was to try and help ensure that the venue had a good crowd. It was obvious by the throngs (not just erstwhile protesters) downtown that this would not be a problem.

It so happens that Phoenix airport is on the route I had to take downtown. As I was driving, at about 5PM, I began to wonder how long in advance of an event like this the President would arrive. The event was to begin at 7PM.

The highway I was on is roughly parallel to the airport's two glide paths. One to the left, the other to the right. As I looked to the right, at 5:13PM, there it was. Air Force One on the glide path, gear down, floating towards the runway. An inspiring sight. And the answer to my question.

No comments:

Post a Comment